|New tanker for New Zealand Navy|
|Thursday, 21 July 2016 17:32|
The New Zealand Government has approved the purchase of a new naval tanker for the New Zealand Defence Force.
The tanker will be ice-strengthened and winterised for operations in Antarctica, NZ Defence Minister Gerry Brownlee said.
The vessel will be built by South Korean firm Hyundai Heavy Industries and is expected to be delivered in 2020.
It replaces the 30-year-old tanker HMNZS ‘Endeavour’, which currently provides fuel to Royal New Zealand Navy and other partner nations’ ships and embarked helicopters, and supplies fuel and fresh water to support land operations. HMNZS ‘Endeavour’ is due to retire in 2018.
The project will cost NZ$493 million (US$345 million) and will support NZDF operations including maritime sustainment and humanitarian and disaster relief operations.
A recently released defence white paper from the NZ Government placed greater emphasis on the protection of Southern Ocean resources and supporting New Zealand’s civilian presence in Antarctica.
Cialis Side Effects is just like any other medication yet do not necessity to worry and believe that everything is bad. There is nothing surprising in this. Everything is simple and clear.
Latest Book Reviews
- The US Naval Institute on Naval Strategy
- Silent And Unseen: On Patrol in Three Cold War Attack Submarines
- 21st Century Seamanship
- Small Navies: Strategy and Policy for Small Navies in War and Peace
- The Baltimore Sabotage Cell: German Agents, American Traitors, and the U-Boat Deutschland During World War I
- Re-Inventing The Ship: Science, Technology and the Maritime World, 1800-1918
- The Indian Ocean and US Grand Strategy: Ensuring Access And Promoting Security
Latest CommentsJ. K. M. Nair: Shipping always is a serious business and the world cannot ignore the fact that cargo moves means s...
Dirk Smit: Very informative...
stuart ballantyne: excellent ! couldn't have said it better myself...
Leonardo Alphonso: I am given to understand this book is useful for marine engineers for learning about purification of...